New Covid-19 Safe Plan allows tourism in Queensland to reopen

Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young has approved the Queensland Tourism and Accommodation Industry COVID Safe Plan, allowing tourism businesses in Queensland to reopen. 
 
Premier Annastacia Palasczuk said the state’s plan for recovery after coronavirus provides clear rules for the tourism industry to follow from now and through to stage three restrictions. 
 
However, large tourism businesses such as theme parks and zoos will have to provide their own COVID-19 safety plans for the State’s approval.
 

Protests for George Floyd and Indigenous Australian community

A protest in support of the Black Lives Matter movement is happening today in Brisbane’s CBD.

While the recent death of Georg Floyd in Minneapolis is what sparked the rally, many Australian’s are banding together to address the issue of police brutality toward our indigenous community as well. 

The protest will take place at King George Square this afternoon and similar rallies are also being held across the country in other major capital cities such as Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide.   
 

Kcin: Bushmaster

<p><span><span>- When <strong>Nicholas Meredith</strong> released the first of his <em>Sleeplessness &amp; Hopelessness</em> EPs it was described as “overwhelming music for overwhelming times”. The mixture of industrial distortion, intimidating soundscapes, urgent synthwave and a brutal regimen of live drumming certainly fit the bill and, at that time, we had no idea 2019 was just the warm-up round for 2020’s annus horribilis.

Run The Jewels: Run The Jewels 4

- In the summer of 1981, as riots exploded across England, The Specials released their eerie take on urban violence, Ghost Town. The single raced to number one like flames from a molotov cocktail, and the moment went down in history as the most famous example of astute commentary combining with fortuitous timing to make pop music fit for the times.

Google sued $5 Billion over claims of tracking users in private mode

Google has been sued in the United States over claims of them illegally tracking people browsing in private mode.
 
The potential class-action suit seeks $5 billion from Google and their owner Alphabet Inc.
 
US Law firm Boies Schiller and Flexner filed the claim on Tuesday in a San Jose federal court in California, claiming that Google "cannot continue to engage in the covert and unauthorized data collection from virtually every American with a computer or phone.”
 
Google denies these claims.
 

Civil Rights Investigation surrounding Minnesota Police

The Minnesota Department of Human Rights has filed a civil rights charge against the Minneapolis Police Department, following the death of civilian George Floyd.

An investigation will take place that will look into the past decade of police procedures and policies to determine whether the department has engaged in discriminatory practices against people of colour.

The leader of the investigation, Human Rights Commissioner Rebecca Lucero stated that the investigation “is not about holding people personally criminally liable,” but it “is about systems change.”

Review of Natural Disaster Emergency Funding

Australia's Emergency Management Ministers have agreed to review the funding for the Commonwealth's Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements following the natural disasters earlier this year.
 
Emergency Management Minister David Littleproud said the funding is being reviewed to ensure the program is fair across the states.
 
Minister Littleproud said,  “The review will look into how each state applies the DRFA and whether the program should be adjusted to deliver more equitable, needs-based, assistance for all Australians, regardless of where they live.”
 

Impacts on sufferers of asthma due to bushfires

According to a recent survey, Australians suffering from Asthma were impacted heavily by air-quality changes during the bushfires that occurred in the summer of 2019-20.

The survey conducted by Asthma Australia revealed that thousands of people could not protect themselves from asthma attacks during the time of the fires.

Asthma Australia’s CEO Michele Goldman stated that “People with asthma suffered serious smoke-related health impacts needing four times more emergency or hospital care and twice as likely to experience financial stress,”